For year's there has been talk that a new Friday movie was on the horizon, but fans have only received speculation and gossip. However, there seems to be movement on the project as Ice Cube confirmed that the latest addition to the franchise is underway. During his visit to ESPN's The Jump, Cube stated that they're getting things going and it's his hope that the movie will be completed by this time next year.
"Yeah, we pushing for it. We finished the script, we are getting notes from the studio and it's going back and forth," Cube said. "Get into pre-production and start hiring. It would be nice for this to come out on the 25th anniversary. That would be kinda...good." Host Rachel Nichols helped him out and finished it off with, "A good day." Cube appreciated that one.
The real question is: will Christ Tucker return to reprise his iconic role of Smokey? The answer is still "maybe." Tucker has previously stated that it's something he would consider, but he wants to make sure that it's done the right way. "I don't know. I talked to Cube about it," he said on ESPN's The Plug. "He told me he was working on some stuff. And if it comes together right, I'm definitely gonna look at it and see if it works. 'Cause I never say never...I definitely want to check it out. If it works, it's a possibility."
They better bring back Deebo. Are you excited for another Friday film?
Lamar Odom Speaks About His Recovery, "My Doctors Say I’m A Walking Miracle"
This fall will mark the four year anniversary of when NBA superstar Lamar Odom was found unconscious in a Nevada brothel. He was taken to the Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center in Las Vegas where he slipped into a coma. He suffered 12 strokes and six heart attacks while unconscious and doctors were certain that the man in his mid-thirties wasn’t going to pull through.
“My doctors say I’m a walking miracle; they’re amazed that I’m here,” Odom told the L.A. Times. “I always knew I had a strong will. I think my will is even stronger than I believed it was. It’s a testament that God is good. When I woke up and I couldn’t talk or walk I never thought I would be here. I never thought I would play basketball again or talk to you. Just to be here is a win for me.”
The 39-year-old continues to work on his recovery and has been playing ball overseas. He’s preparing to play for the BIG3, a league founded by Ice Cube that features retired NBA players who still have some game left in them. The players go head-to-head in three-on-three games. When TMZ caught Odom making his way through Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Thursday morning, they asked him what his feelings were about getting back on the court.
“I mean, to be honest with you, I mean, I played pro already in Dubai. Hopefully, when I finish the BIG3 I get nominated for an ESPY. For real. Comeback Athlete of the Year.” He added, “When you’re an addict, that’s something that you live with forever. You don’t just put that behind you. It’ll take years just to put that sh*t completely behind you. Everybody get the urge, but getting high is not on my agenda right now.” He says he’s still having problems with his memory. “It’s not really fully back. I think that’s the only thing that’s really…all my doctors say that I’m a walking miracle.”
He has, however, been dealing with memory loss issues. “I can’t remember anything. My short-term memory is really bad,” he said to the L.A. Times. “I wish I could explain it but I can’t. It’s tough and it’s really frustrating. If there’s a poster child for Alzheimer’s, I’m probably it. It’s something I’m scared of. I think I need to go see a doctor at some point and see if I can work on that. It’s scary.”
Lamar Odom Receives High Praise From Ice Cube Before BIG3 Season
Odom was named as a co-captain of the Enemies.
Ice Cube has developed quite a following with his BIG3 basketball league which acts as a three-on-three league where retired NBA stars can all come together for some exciting basketball. The league has seen quite a bit of success so far and last night, the league had its annual draft. While he wasn’t drafted, Lamar Odom was picked up by the Enemies and was even named a co-captain to Gilbert Arenas who is the main captain of the squad.
Of course, Odom has had his troubles with drugs in the past and had to give up his NBA career because of it. Thankfully, Odom has been able to clean himself up and Ice Cube says he’s been going hard in the gym to get himself back in game shape. Cube even spoke to TMZ recently where he praised Odom for his effort. He believes Odom can be one of the stars of the league and is already putting some hefty expectations on him.
“A lot of people counted him out, but not us,” Cube said. “I think he’s gonna be our comeback player of the year.”
With the league starting soon, we’ll be able to see whether or not Odom can still get it done on the court. The big man was known for being a great sixth-man on the Lakers back in the day.
"Boyz N The Hood" Actor Jessie Lawrence Ferguson Has Passed Away: Report
The actor passed away last Friday.
We lost director John Singleton today. His death followed a month-long battle to recuperate from a stroke. The screenwriter was in a coma before being taken off life support at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Singleton was linked to numerous notable works which included Poetic Justice (1993), which featured music icons Tupac Shakur and Janet Jackson, Baby Boy (2001), 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) and Four Brothers (2005) amongst several other movies. The producer was 51 years old. Rest in peace, John Singleton.
Moreover, we are saddened to report on another loss to the Boyz N The Hood cast and emsemble. Actor and father Jessie Lawrence Ferguson was found dead this past Friday, April 26th by his son, Jace. According to TMZ, the actor who portrayed a dirty cop on the 1991 coming-of-age and hood drama was discovered lifeless near his bed, with the television still on. He was 76 years old. As of now, there are no precise details on the circumstances underlying his death.
“He was a strong, beautiful intelligent black man and he wanted the best for his son and all people,” were the words shared by Jace. Reportedly, the actor looked in tip-top shape prior to his death. Rest in peace, Jessie Lawrence Ferguson.
Ice Cube Celebrates "Friday" 24th Anniversary With OG "Bye, Felicia" Meme
Who’s excited for the final installment in the “Friday” series.
Anyone who’s a fan of Ice Cube‘s Friday trilogy will recall the hilarious moment when he Craig got stoned and dismissed Felicia Parker with the iconic, “Bye, Felicia.” The phrase became a staple phrase in the West Coast throughout the 90s and the early 2000s, but it didn’t reach its peak of popularity until 2015. “Bye, Felicia” became a staple in pop culture lexicon in the past few years. Michelle Obama used the phrase on Jimmy Fallon to describe her departure from the White House. Jordin Sparks later released a mixtape titled, #ByeFelicia.
Ice Cube, who originated the term, has been teasing the release of the final installment to the Friday series for a minute. It was officially greenlit in 2017 but it appears as though he’s getting ready to drop Last Friday in the near future. The rapper teased the project’s release on Instagram with the original “Bye, Felicia” meme.
“To the 24 years that have flown since this came out, all I gotta say is… BYE, FELICIA,” he wrote. “Do you want the next chapter??”
Earlier this year, Ice Cube confirmed that the film is well underway but he did detail that he felt the pressure to create the type of content that will due the original justice.
“To me, we got great actors in the movie, you know? Some comedians, some just great actors,” he said. “So the movie’s gonna have the right chemistry — that to me is not anything to worry about. It’s more about do they have the material that they can take and turn into magic. It’s on me to put that in their hands.”
Rap Beef Is Now "Time Sensitive": A Brief Analysis
Do fightin’ words really have an expiration date?
Revisionist history adds a noted sense of immediacy to the legendary Jay-Z Vs. Nas beef. Yet in reality, the time between opening volley and counterstrike was unusually long, especially by today’s standards. Jay-Z’s “Takeover” was released on September 11th, 2001 and Nas dropped “Ether” on December 4th of that same year. In this day and age, such a delay would be perceived as weakness. It’s not uncommon to hear people say “they on the clock” once the first shot is fired. Perhaps such a mentality is fuelled purely by selfish bloodlust, as a fast turnaround means new, and often passionate, music. Yet this proverbial “clock” tends to present a false narrative; a delayed response time should not be mistaken for cowardice, though it so often is.
Consider a few of last year’s prominent feuds, namely Drake Vs. Pusha T and Eminem Vs. Machine Gun Kelly. The former feud found Drake’s “Duppy” facing off against Pusha T’s “The Story Of Adidon.” While tension had been simmering between both parties for some time, the notorious beef unfolded over one incendiary week. Pusha T’s “Infrared” dropped on May 25th. Drake responded to the subs with “Duppy,” which he released on that same day. Four days later, Pusha T replied with “The Story Of Adidon” on May 29th. One of the years biggest feuds unfolded in fewer than ninety-six hours. Eminem and Machine Gun Kelly’s beef transpired with a similarly brief turnaround time. On August 31st, Eminem set it off with “Not Alike.” Machine Gun Kelly clapped back on September 8th with “Rap Devil.” Eminem concluded the war with “Killshot” on September 14th; in dryly comedic fashion, our own post title for “Killshot” comes complete with an emphatic Finally.
Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images
In hindsight, I suppose we’re all guilty of getting caught in the hype on a reactionary basis. In such a competitive sport, the preservation of reputation can feel like the end-all-be-all. It’s not easy to have one’s dirty laundry aired in such a public forum, allowing millions of social media users to judge, troll, ridicule, memeify, and malleate an already volatile narrative. If one hundred thousand people clamor for an immediate response, prematurely citing “cowardice” in the event it never comes, the court of public opinion ultimately runs the risk of shifting against the defendant. Lest we forget, however, that back in 2002 Eminem unleashed two diss tracks to Benzino in “The Sauce” and “Nail In The Coffin.” Both tracks were penned in response to Zino’s “Pull Your Skirt Up,” and released a month-and-a-half after its release. Now Imagine Eminem took one-and-a-half months to respond to Machine Gun Kelly. Even if “Killshot” remained exactly as is, it’s entirely possible that the modern world would have moved on, the sheen of the battle long having dulled.
Yet when Nas and Jay-Z went to war all those years ago, that was hardly the case. The landscape was vastly different, with little-to-no social media. Print outlets like The Source and XXL carried notable weight in providing news and insight into hip-hop culture. That’s not to say the fan response to “Takeover” was any different than a modern-day post-diss high. Yet the public sense of urgency was far more contained, largely expressed through word of mouth by sheer necessity. I was only twelve when I heard “Takeover,” and I can still remember hearing “Ether” for the first time, downloading it in my friend’s basement. There was no timeline analysis or questioning of reputation gained and lost, only an appreciation of Nas’ unrelenting and ruthless bars.
Were social media to be in play, it would have likely shifted perception. The risk of groupthink is never far, and it’s easy to imagine “Takeover” as being premium meme fodder. Imagine the lines “you were a ballerina, I got the pictures I’ve seen ya,” complete with legions of amateur PhotoShops depicting exactly that. Case in point, examine this “REACTIONS” post to Drake’s “Duppy” for some context. In fairness, the birth of meme culture would have likely added an additional layer of comedy to some of hip-hop’s classic feuds. And it’s not as if people should be blamed for living the internet era. It’s no secret that news travels faster now, with endless content available at the bat of an eyelash. This generation has long been associated with “Instant Gratification,” due largely in part to the internet’s facilitation of damn near everything. Now, if Drake wants to hit the studio and release “Duppy,” he can upload it to SoundCloud hours later (as he did). Twenty years ago, Drake would have had to resort to different measures altogether.
Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images
Consider that some of the greatest diss tracks in hip-hop history, including “Takeover” and “Ether,” were released on official studio albums. In fact, many prominent diss records arrived on physical copies, which meant above all else, the printing process. 2Pac’s “Hit Em Up” was originally released on June 4th, 1996, as a B-Side to the “How Do U Want It” single. We mustn’t forget that “Hit Em Up” was penned as a response to Biggie’s “Who Shot Ya,” which was released all the way back on February 20th, 1995. Yet when we look back on their feud with a historian’s lens, Biggie and Pac’s still stands among hip-hop’s most storied beefs. Likewise for Ice Cube’s war with his former group NWA, which ultimately spawned the classic “No Vaseline.” Given that NWA wasted little time in blasting Cube on their albums 100 Miles and Runnin’ (August 14th, 1990) and N****z4Life (May 28th, 1991), Cube ultimately felt compelled to place nail firmly in coffin. On October 29th, 1991, five months after NWA dubbed him Benedict Arnold, Ice Cube delivered “No Vaseline.”
Today, a five-month delay between diss tracks is unheard of. Instead, eight-day delays are eternal. Four-days is fair game. Twenty-four hours is ideal. We recently saw Tory Lanez earn praise for his approach to diss-track marketing, which found him engaging in two spirited tilts with Joyner Lucas and Don Q. The former found him releasing two tracks in fewer than forty-eight hours, a pace matched by Joyner. The latter found Lanez responding to Q’s “I’m Not Joyner” in fewer than twenty-four. Now imagine if Don Q, or Joyner Lucas for that matter, issued a response tonight. How do you think his efforts would be met?
Ice Cube Says Nipsey Hussle Should Be Honored In Any Way Possible
Ice Cube just wants to see Nipsey be remembered positively.
It was a sad, somber day on Sunday when the news broke that beloved rapper and philanthropist Nipsey Hussle was shot and killed outside of his store in Los Angeles. Nipsey was heralded in the community for his numerous charitable endeavors and devotion to giving back to the community. The incident occurred in front of Hussle’s clothing store “Marathon” which is located on the corner of Crenshaw Blvd and Slauson Ave in the Hyde Park district of Los Angeles. Thanks to Nipsey’s status as a beacon of the community, fans launched a petition to have the street renamed “Nipsey Hussle BLVD.”
In light of all of the tributes for Nipsey, TMZ caught up with rapper Ice Cube and asked him what he thought about changing the name of the street. For Ice, any tribute in Nipsey’s honor is a positive and he’d be happy to say anything done.
As for the aftermath of Nipsey’s death, Ice Cube is worried that there might be even more violence in retaliation to his murder. Despite Nipsey’s alleged killer Eric Holder being in jail and facing life in prison, Cube believes some bad violence could be on the horizon. For now, though, he’s telling Nipsey fans to keep their head up.
Ice Cube’s Big3 League Wins $21 Million In Defamation Lawsuit
Big3 earns a win it its defamation suit.
According to new reports, Ice Cube's Big3 basketball league has been awarded $21 million in a defamation lawsuit that it brought up against Champions Basketball League.
Big3 originally sued CBL in 2017 after the league claimed they were defrauded because Big3 would not allow players to participate in both leagues. CBL would file a $250 million lawsuit against Big3 that was eventually tossed out of court.
The Blast reports that CBL will have a chance to challenge the ruling next month in court while an attorney for Big3 is expected to file the paperwork that makes the judgment official next week.