One of the World's Biggest Music Fests Permanently Cancelled Due To Sexual Assault
Music festival cancellations are happening left and right in the US, but European festivals are flourishing. However, one festival has just been permanently cancelled. Bråvalla Music Festival, Sweden’s biggest festival, has ended due to rampant sexual assaults.
Bråvalla organizers announced the permanent cancellation of the festival. Last year, there were a reported four rapes and 23 sexual assault cases. The year before, there were a reported five rapes and at least 12 sexual assault cases. Bråvalla previously announced its 2018 event would be cancelled, but this news signals the festival’s permanent end.
We covered a new women-only Swedish music festival last year, called Statement Festival, that launched in response Bråvalla. The Swedish music festival contingency seems ready to move on; even Bråvalla’s PR rep has admitted the festival needed to end. PR rep Kajsa Apelqvist told Sweden’s Norrköpings Tidningar newspaper the following:
“It’s a very disappointing decision to take, but the overall picture we have is that we cannot develop the festival in the way we want to be relevant to our visitors in the future. We have always claimed that it is not a festival problem but a social problem. How we ensure our visitors’ safety is something we are constantly developing, and that’s something we’ll never finish.”
We would say RIP, but in this case, good riddance Bråvalla. May better festivals grace Sweden soon.
RiFF RAFF Tour Cancelled Over Rape Allegations
Following allegations of rape, rapper RiFF RAFF’s Australian and New Zealand tour has been effectively cancelled.
The accusations against RiFF RAFF were originally levied by Eliza Stafford on Facebook, who recounts an event in 2013 during which she was allegedly coerced, drugged, and raped by the rapper. Stafford claims she was offered vodka which turned out to be codeine, after which she blacked out.
Stafford writes, “I woke up as Riff raff was pulling out of me and getting in to the shower. I crawled – truly, on all fours -out of the hotel room and managed to get outside where I booked a taxi who wouldn’t take me because I was ‘too drunk’.”
In 2013 I was raped by a man whose stage name is “Riff Raff”. I went to his show because my boyfriend at the time was a…
Posted by Eliza Stafford on Thursday, May 31, 2018
Approximately 18 hours later, booking agency Audipaxx posted the following statement on Facebook:
TOUR UPDATE: we have been made aware of allegations made against Houston rapper Riff Raff. Audiopaxx takes these matters…
Today, another woman, Kelsey Doucette, has come forward with her own story. She claims that RiFF RAFF made unwanted advances toward her at a Warped Tour event in 2015, when she was 17 years old.
“He told me we could go in his shower. Told me he would use a condom. I kept saying no,” wrote Doucette. “Finally I told him, ‘Look, I’m not sleeping with anyone today.’ And he was still in this dazed state trying to touch on my thighs and he kissed up my neck and said, ‘Come on, I’ll even let you have my baby.'”
So this may not be fully known yet, but it really should be. This year has seemed to be all too filled with artists…
Posted by Kelsey Doucette on Friday, June 1, 2018
RiFF RAFF’s team has yet to issue a statement, nor have any charges been brought against RiFF RAFF that we know of.
Bill Cosby Claims He Didn't Rape Andrea Constand Because He Doesn't "Like" Sex
The jurors in Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial heard transcripts from a 2005 interview with Bill police after Andrea Constand reported the actor for drugging and molesting her. According to Page Six, Bill previously told ficers that he didn't have sex with Andrea because he doesn't "like" intercourse. “I like the petting, the touching,” he said.
“So you never had sexual intercourse with Andrea]?” Lt. Richard Pethel asked the actor, where he replied: “Never asleep nor awake." Bill has since been accused drugging and assaulting 60 women. Bill was then asked by the ficer why he "didn’t you have sexual intercourse" with Andrea where he replied with: “I don’t like it."
The publication reports that yesterday Andrea told the court that Bill “came on” to her before he drugged and assaulted her. He allegedly put his hand on her thigh and tried to unbutton her pants, but she stopped him. She said she accepted pills from Bill to help her “relax" and woke up to him spooning her and assaulting her.
“We were talking about sleep, and her stress,” Bill said in the 2005 transcripts. “The Andrea I knew is either ADD or has a learning disability. t just became work, which is why I was happy when she found the masseuse thing and went back to Canada.”
UFC's Paige VanZant Opens Up About Rape In New Book
UFC star Paige VanZant has opened up about being the victim a gang-rape in high school at the age 14, and the subsequent bullying and abusive relationships she suffered in her new book, “Rise: Surviving the Fight My Life."
In the book, which released today, the 24-year old flyweight fighter goes into some detail about the horrific incident, describing how a group boys got her drunk at a party and raped her when she could not defend herself. VanZant says the bullying she experienced after the rape was so bad that she ultimately changed her last name from Sletten to VanZant because the kids at school nicknamed her "Slutton." She also wrote that once she came home and found condoms hung from the trees around her house “like Christmas ornaments."
As a result, her family was forced to move from Oregon to Nevada to give her a fresh start.
“They move me around,” VanZant writes. They change my position. I fail each time I try to resist, my limbs like wet cement on my body, my brain a heavy fog. I am awake and conscious, but my body feels dead. I know what is happening but can do nothing to stop it. I have no voice or choice but to submit and pray that it ends soon.”
"I didn't have anywhere to run to. I didn't have anybody to turn to," said VanZant, according to ESPN. "It was] bad enough that I had to run into the bathroom, and I'd eat my lunch on the toilet ... because I just felt too scared to eat lunch in the cafeteria."
VanZant tells MMA Fighting that she decided to share her story to let others know they're not alone, and to be an anti-bullying advocate.
“A huge reason I’m getting the book out is because I want to be an advocate for anti-bullying, I want to be an advocate,” said VanZant, who also wrote about an abusive relationship which led to her getting arrested for DUI. “That’s the main wave I want to start from this. The hardest thing for me was the bullies. That just really sunk me even lower, that no one was even there for me.”
According to MMA Fighting, VanZant is still healing from a broken arm she sustained during a fight with Jessica-Rose Clark at UFC St. Louis in January. The timetable for her return is still unknown but she has vowed to fight again before the end the year.
Bobby V Reportedly Under Investigation For Rape In Georgia
Bobby V hasn’t had the best reputation or image after he was caught allegedly skipping out on a transgender prostitute last year without paying her, which he claimed was an extortion plot, but this story here definitely isn't going to help. According to , the R&B singer is a suspect in a rape case that allegedly happened last weekend in Georgia.
Police sources say the R&B singer was named by a woman who filed a police report in Cobb County, Georgia early Monday, March 19. They’re told the alleged rape occurred the day prior on Sunday (3/18). Little information is known about the incident, like where or what the circumstances were, but we do know Bobby does lives in the area. Cops say they have an open investigation into the case, so they're not saying anything & keeping details under wraps for now.
However, there's always two sides to every story and Bobby V’s reps are not only calling bullshit, but they’re also taking legal action "against what appears to be a weak yet calculated attempt to obtain financial gain through ulterior motives in the matter." The rep says the victim didn't directly ask for money from Bobby V, but everything she said is a lie. The rep reportedly added, "Bobby takes any allegation against women very seriously. However, false allegations damage true victims sexual abuse."
This report surfaces just a couple weeks after Bobby released his Electrik album, featuring Snoop Dogg.
We’ll keep you posted as more information on this story surfaces.
REPORT: Emails Reveal Datsik's Managers Knew of Rape Allegations Since October '17
Beginning last Wednesday, dubstep heavyweight Datsik has been at the center a growing #MeToo movement within the dance music community. After a screenshot a women detailing an alleged sexual assault Wednesday morning, more women came forward with their own stories, eventually numbering close to two dozen. Your EDM received another dozen or so direct emails with more allegations against Datsik that are still being investigated.
received a similar email from another alleged victim, who wishes to remain anonymous, claiming that Datsik’s former management company Deckstar knew about these allegations as recently as October 2017. In her email, the victim shared screenshots correspondence with Deckstar, as well as a private crisis management publicist, detailing her alleged rape at the hands Datsik after an event in London in 2013 at Fabric.
EDM.com writes, “Within 24 hours sending her allegations rape to Deckstar Management, the alleged victim was contacted by a crisis management publicist from a Public Relations firm. In their brief exchange, the alleged victim was pressed for more information and was also asked, ‘What is it that you’re looking for?’”
The victim’s story goes into further detail about the events leading up to and during the alleged rape in 2013, as well as the correspondence last October. She asked only for a letter apology from Datsik, and never received any further response thereafter.
According to EDM.com, “she also noted that her reason for initially contacting Deckstar was to bring awareness to the issue and to help prevent other women from becoming victims.”
EDM.com has reached out to Deckstar Management for comment.
BREAKING: Datsik Issues Half-Hearted Response To Sexual Abuse Allegations
Earlier today, Datsik was faced with from numerous women on Twitter and Facebook. As the day has gone on, more and more women have come forward with similar stories.
Datsik promised hours ago to share an ficial statement, which has finally been posted.
The statement dismisses all the accusations outright, stating, “I don’t condone that kind behavior and I care about every single person that I meet, on the real. I know this is a sensitive subject and I am also a sensitive dude, so please say what u must but honestly I want u to know that this shit means the world to me. …] I will make a bigger effort to make sure that nothing I do will be misinterpreted in the future.”
France To Change Age Of Consent To 15 Amid High-Profile Rape Cases
The French government is making some valiant strides to nullify childhood sexual-abuse cases throughout the country. Lawmakers have proposed that the age consent be raised to 15, after consulting with the public and a panel experts. This decision comes after two high-prile cases rape involving 11 year-old girls which has sparked outrage throughout the land.
France's Equality Minister Marlene Shippa admits that "I think we must reaffirm the existing law that sets the age sexual majority at 15, and make sure that there are trials for rape and not for sex assault."
According to laws that are currently practiced in the country, prosecutors have to prove that any sexual relations with someone under the age 15 was non-consensual in order to be convicted rape. However, this will change alongside the bill that is being proposed.
This new law will effectively create a new threshold, which will criminalize sexual activity with a minor under 15, as well as a legal assumption that the child was coerced. Furthermore, this formal decree will also pit the onus on the adult who would have to prove that the child gave consent, as opposed to the victim having to give valid evidence supporting their claims coercion or threat.
Lawmakers are hoping that this proposal will be given the go-ahead in the French legal system, and help decrease sexual violence throughout the country.
Drake & Future Reportedly Dropped From $25 Million Rape Lawsuit
A woman going by Jane Doe claims she was raped at a Drake and Future concert on August 14, 2016, in Nashville, Tennesse. The man who allegedly committed the crime was working security at the event.
The Blast now reports that Drake and Future, born Aubrey Drake Graham and Nayvadius DeMun Wilburn, have been dismissed from the $25 million case, while several other defendants remain.
The suspect has been revealed as 38-year-old Leavy Johnson who has been arrested and is awaiting trial in Tampa, Florida. Jane's lawsuit claims that Leavy had outstanding warrants for assault during the time the rape and the arena, the touring company and all managers and rappers involved should have known that employing Leavy would “pose an unreasonable risk to others.”
The Tennesse reports that Jane was trying to go backstage and meet Drake where Leavy told her he could assist. Around a corner, he pushed her down and raped her. The case is still ongoing.
In other Drake news, his track "God's Plan" is now the 20th song within the past 25 years to have held the top position on the Billboard Hot 100. His single joins other tracks by Taylor Swift, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Robin Thicke, Justin Timberlake and more as the most dominant singles on the list.
REPORT: Police Officer Charged with Rape At Music Festival
A police ficer has been charged with rape and an act indecency, following an “incident” at an Australian music festival in New South Wales.
The Tamworth Country Music Festival kicked f Friday, January 19 — and on January 22, the unthinkable claims are said to have occurred. A 27-year-old senior constable allegedly went to into a home while f-duty around 3 am following the festival and engaged in the assaults.
The incidents were on January 25 to the Oxley Police District. A search warrant was obtained and the suspect was charged with “sexual intercourse without consent and assault with act indecency.”
The ficer has been suspended and is out on conditional bail. He is scheduled to appear before Dubbo Local Court on April 18.
Details as to what went down at the music festival before the assaults occurred are vague, as the investigation is still underway. Withholding information, like in this case, is usually done for this safety the victims.