Clemson Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence and his girlfriend, Marissa Mowry, have been given the green light to continue their GoFundMe to help those affected by coronavirus, after the NCAA initially shut down their fundraising efforts. On Monday, Lawrence and Mowry, a soccer play at Anderson University, launched the GoFundMe page to raise money for those who have been most deeply impacted by the coronavirus pandemic by offering some sort of relief. Despite their good intentions, it was reported that they were asked to deactivate the page by a compliance official, as it violated an NCAA policy that prohibits a player from using their name, image, and likeness for crowd funding.
Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
Despite Lawrence and Mowry's initial disappointment, the NCAA decided to make an exception. The association issued a statement the following day, announcing that they will allow student athletes to raise money to help during this difficult time.
"We continue to work with member schools so they have the flexibility to ensure that student-athletes and communities impacted by this illness are supported, and we applaud Trevor for his efforts," the NCAA said in its statement. Clemson Athletics also issued a statement of their own on Twitter.
"In light of current circumstances surrounding COVID-19," they wrote, "the NCAA reached out to Clemson Athletics this evening informing us that they are waiving restrictions that had been in place and are now allowing institutions to utilize discretion with respect to fundraising efforts." Lawrence and Mowry later took to his Instagram stories to address the situation. "Shout out to the NCAA," Lawrence said. "Thank y'all so much for granting a waiver. They're allowing us to continue to raise money for what we were doing originally." They explained that they're going to figure out the best way to raise the money as fast and efficiently as possible and to reach as many folks as they can. They will also be writing letters to those affected by the coronavirus, as well as the health care workers who have been on the frontlines.
Freaky Deaky Festival Promoter Arrested for Disorderly Conduct In Final Two Hours of Festival
A lot goes into making a music festival successful, including the cooperation and a good relationship with local law enforcement. This past weekend at Freaky Deaky outside of Houston, TX, promoter Disco Donnie worked with Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne to allete issues with sound level and traffic on Saturday night.
Important Green Velvet After Party update below.
We would also like to invite and remind Freaky Deaky fans to celebrate with us after the festival at the Steve Aoki show, hosted at Spire in Houston. Tickets: https://t.co/EbizKluxyE pic.twitter.com/vzfbMA1BfX
— Freaky Deaky Texas (@FreakyDeakyTX) October 27, 2019
However, according to a news release, in the final two hours of the festival on Sunday, noise levels rose above the permitted level. Between the violation and complaints from nearby residents, the promoter was charged with “disturbing the peace, under statute 4201 – Disorderly Conduct,” Hawthorne said in a statement.
“I believe the promoter had good intentions, but the entertainers and sound engineers were placing the entertainment of festival attendees over the citizens of our county; therefore, the promoter will have to answer to Chambers County Precinct 6 Justice of the Peace Larry Cryer on violations of unreasonable noise after being notified of the public nuisance,” Hawthorne said.
It’s unclear from the release if any particular individual was arrested, or if Disco Donnie was charged with the disorderly conduct. Your EDM has reached out to representatives for DD for comment and clarification.
From the fans’ perspective, the festival concluded Sunday night with a bang thanks to sets from Lil Texas, Ganja White Night, Martin Garrix, and Green Velvet.
Star Telegram | Photo aLIVE Coverage for Freaky Deaky